Breaking News

Noel Gallagher On Working With David Holmes On 'Who Built The Moon?'


Noel Gallagher was speaking to Chris Moyles on Radio X in an interview that was broadcast this morning, about working with producer David Holmes on 'Who Built The Moon?'.

“I’d met David Holmes maybe a year before, and I was a fan of his and I've got all his records and soundtracks that he does. I called him, I said, ‘D’you fancy coming and getting involved with this record?’ He flew over from Belfast, I played him the tracks, and he said, ‘Hmm, they all sound finished to me.’ I said, ‘But I've only just started, these are just demos!’ And he said, ‘No, no, no, they're great, but they're finished. I can't get involved in it, it's gone too far!’

He said, "But if you wanna make a record, come to my studio in Belfast, and we'll do one.’ I said, Well, okay, I've got two or three weeks off here and there.’ He said, ‘Well, just come in the breaks! Don't bring any songs, just bring a guitar and a bag of effects pedals, and we'll write in the studio.’

“I’ve never done that, ever. I always thought people were maniacs for doing it, because it just takes years - it’s taken years to make this record. So I go to Belfast, and the first night we sit and drink and play records. He's an amazing DJ, he's got this room with thousands and millions of records everywhere, and he was pulling out French psychedelic pop and German disco and this, that and the other – all this crazy stuff.

‘He said, ‘What d'you think of this?’ I'm, like, ‘Yeah, I love it!’ And he said, ‘You should be doing stuff like this.’ And I'm like, ‘Really?’ So that went on all night. I got back the next day and he'd made up drum loops and bits that were kind of similar to this kind of music. Then I went away on tour and turned them into songs. Then we kept doing that, I kept going back to Belfast and doing that.

“If I'd had two years off, or after a tour and I'd written a load of songs, I'd be like, ‘Well, I like these songs, and I've written these.’ So because the two things are running concurrently, I was like, ‘Well, I've got this tour, but I can devote a bit of time to this and see where it goes’.”

“I would have been first to go, "You know, I don't think it sounds like me, I'm not having it. Funnily enough, all the tracks on the album sound like my record collection. And there were times when I was kicking the songs into shape, and David would say, ‘The verses are great, but the chorus, just sounds like Oasis!’

“And I'm like, ‘Yeah, I know, brilliant, isn't it!’ And he said, "Yeah, but we've all heard that for the last 25 years, do something different.’ And there was a long process of, (a) me accepting what he was saying, (b) me thinking to myself, ‘But am I capable of anything different?’”

No comments